Filecabinet Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Filecabinet Forum

Go to exilecabi.net

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Control Panel

Your profile

Information

Preference

Signature

Social

Friends and Foes

Memberlist

Groups

Private messages

Inbox

PM sent

Other

Topic is being watched

Forum statistics

Latest topics
» LAST POST OWNS ALL!
Australian republic debate revived days before election. EmptyThu Apr 02, 2020 1:15 am by jammin91

» If a guy called Ceehound joins then
Australian republic debate revived days before election. EmptyFri Jun 26, 2015 2:23 am by ceehound619

» Dat OG Gangsta Returns....
Australian republic debate revived days before election. EmptySat Apr 11, 2015 8:39 pm by ceehound619

» Villa builders explore in Cochin
Australian republic debate revived days before election. EmptyWed May 23, 2012 11:36 am by KIMBERT

» Villa builders explore in Cochin
Australian republic debate revived days before election. EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 11:37 am by KIMBERT

» More about Hemorrhoids
Australian republic debate revived days before election. EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 4:07 pm by Meyer

» How to Master the Tracks?
Australian republic debate revived days before election. EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 10:23 am by derfin

» Well, um, hey everybody.
Australian republic debate revived days before election. EmptyFri May 20, 2011 11:51 pm by Rocker Kid

» Massages To Sooth The Tired Muscles
Australian republic debate revived days before election. EmptyMon May 16, 2011 8:53 am by JAMON

Share | 

Australian republic debate revived days before election.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Monty
All of your Mudkip are belong to us!
Monty

Australian republic debate revived days before election. Vide
PostSubject: Australian republic debate revived days before election. Australian republic debate revived days before election. EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 10:03 am

Holy cremola, I haven't heard mention of the republic debate for... ages. When I left for work this morning I hadn't any inkling that the situation would change.

There was a referendum on whether we should become a repubic at the 1999 election: It was defeated by a reasonable margin. Since then, nada. The monarchy certainly wasn't an issue in the 2007 election that bought Rudd to power and now, FOUR DAYS before the 2010 election, we have this:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/08/17/2985152.htm

Quote :
Queen's death right time for republic move: Gillard

Prime Minister Julia Gillard says the death of the British monarch would be the appropriate time for Australia to become a republic.

Ms Gillard says while Australians have a deep affection for Queen Elizabeth, she would like to see the country work through the debate to decide on an appropriate model for an Australian republic.

"I think that the appropriate time for this nation to move to being a republic is when we see the monarch change," she said.

"Obviously I'm hoping for Queen Elizabeth that she lives a long and happy life, and having watched her mother I think there's every chance that she will a long and happy life, but I think that's probably an appropriate point for a transition."

Federal opposition leader Tony Abbott says he cannot see Australia becoming a republic in his lifetime.

Mr Abbott was executive director of Australians for a Constitutional Monarchy from 1993-94 and was closely involved in the monarchists' campaign during the 1999 republic referendum.

He says Australia's current constitutional system has worked well.

"I see no reason whatsoever why they can't continue to work well in the future," he said.

"So while there may very well be further episodes of republicanism in this country, I am far from certain that, at least in our lifetimes, there's likely to be any significant change."

Admittedly, Gillard's idea is for Australia to become a republic after Queen Elizabeth II dies, but still I'm sure it will ruffle the feathers of staunch monarchists like Abbott.

Whether it will affect the election result, and even in what direction, I honestly couldn't say.

Interesting.
Back to top Go down
JACKASS2010
Administrator
Administrator
JACKASS2010

PostSubject: Re: Australian republic debate revived days before election. Australian republic debate revived days before election. EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 7:00 pm

what are your views on it monty? do you wants oz to become a republic and ditch the monarchy?
Back to top Go down
Ed Chigliak

Ed Chigliak

PostSubject: Re: Australian republic debate revived days before election. Australian republic debate revived days before election. EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 7:29 pm

Peter Gabriel had the right idea about monarchies. The last king in America, King Strang was rightfully murdered in the 1800s.

Tell me my life is about to begin
Tell me that I am a hero,
Promise me all of your violent dreams
Light up your body with anger.
Now, in this ugly world
it is time to destroy all this evil.
Now, when I give the word
get ready to fight for your freedom
Now -

Stand up and fight, for you know we are right
We must strike at the lies
That have spread like disease through our minds.
Soon we'll have power, every soldier will rest
And we'll spread out our kindness
To all who our love now deserve.
Some of you are going to die -
Martyrs of course to the freedom that I shall provide.

I'll give you the names of those you must kill,
All must die with their children.
Carry their heads to the palace of old,
Hang them high, let the blood flow.
Now, in this ugly world
break all the chains around us,
Now, the crusade has begun
give us a land fit for heroes,
Now -

Stand up and fight, for you know we are right
We must strike at the lies
That have spread like disease through our minds.
Soon we'll have power, every soldier will rest
And we'll spread out our kindness
To all who our love now deserve.
Some of you are going to die -
Martyrs of course to the freedom that I shall provide.
Back to top Go down
Monty
Monty

PostSubject: Re: Australian republic debate revived days before election. Australian republic debate revived days before election. EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 8:27 pm

I'm pretty ambivalent.

On the one hand the British Monarchy doesn't mean anything -in a practical sense- for Australia, but what about the Commonwealth?

Seeing as how becoming a republic wouldn't mean leaving the Commonwealth then that'd be OK I guess. Does a country good to kick ass six ways to sunday at the Commonwealth Games and flaunt its shit-don't-stink moral high ground at CHOGM; eg wagging our finger and telling Frank Bainimarama he's a very naughty boy. Oh Em Gee

Personally, I get on well with UK people- quite a number of whom live here in Perth. I don't know what the consequences would be re our constitution; eg it's already possible for us to amend it. I reckon that becoming a republic would be more about symbolic change for its own sake than anything tangible.

I used to think we should become a republic when I thought that would mean something, but now I'm not so sure. The status quo is fine; so Australia should remain a constitutional monarchy.

On the other hand...

Australian republic debate revived days before election. AustralianflagbikiniJPG

Let's get rid of that flag!

Well, when I saw a carbon copy of the article I quoted prominently displayed on BBC news it made my jaw drop... then I had to use search to find the ABC version. Now there's been sufficient time for a bit of momentum to develop, it would appear that very little has. Apart from The Australian and Sky news, the topic seems to have sunk without a trace. I'm not sure if any TV channels covered it.

Maybe something will happen if the papers mention it on wednesday- likely that will be a few boneheaded letters to the editor being posted to arrive thursday morning after the deadline, thus appearing in Friday's edition: The day before the election.

I sense a cunning plan afoot. So cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a fox. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
JACKASS2010
Administrator
Administrator
JACKASS2010

PostSubject: Re: Australian republic debate revived days before election. Australian republic debate revived days before election. EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 8:35 pm

WHO IS SHE!?!?

i'd be in her for days.
Back to top Go down
Ed Chigliak

Ed Chigliak

PostSubject: Re: Australian republic debate revived days before election. Australian republic debate revived days before election. EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 8:51 pm

JACKASS2010 wrote:
WHO IS SHE!?!?

i'd be in her for days.

yeah, hawt! Kinda reminds me of Courtney Cox, but a bit fresher.
Back to top Go down
Monty
Monty

PostSubject: Re: Australian republic debate revived days before election. Australian republic debate revived days before election. EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 11:58 pm

Meh, she's pretty average for an Aussie chick.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
TGD_02

TGD_02

PostSubject: Re: Australian republic debate revived days before election. Australian republic debate revived days before election. EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 12:00 am

wow
hottie
Back to top Go down
Monty
Monty

PostSubject: Re: Australian republic debate revived days before election. Australian republic debate revived days before election. EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 12:43 am

According to this site, the countries with the hottest women are:

1 USA
2 England
3 Canada
4 Tie: Australia and Brazil
5 Italy

Australian republic debate revived days before election. Spock

Intriguing.
Back to top Go down
freestyler_3
VIP
VIP
freestyler_3

PostSubject: Re: Australian republic debate revived days before election. Australian republic debate revived days before election. EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 12:50 am

Lies I tell you.
Back to top Go down
crazyjoe

crazyjoe

PostSubject: Re: Australian republic debate revived days before election. Australian republic debate revived days before election. EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 7:33 am

i didn't know Australia was a constitutional monarchy Embarassed

Back to top Go down
Monty
Monty

PostSubject: Re: Australian republic debate revived days before election. Australian republic debate revived days before election. EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 1:18 pm

Now you do CJ.

Here's something that will blow your mind:

The USA is eligible to join the British Commonwealth.

Oh Em Gee
Back to top Go down
Denial Cabi

Denial Cabi

PostSubject: Re: Australian republic debate revived days before election. Australian republic debate revived days before election. EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 4:30 pm

Monty wrote:
Now you do CJ.

Here's something that will blow your mind:

The USA is eligible to join the British Commonwealth.

Oh Em Gee

We should join so the rest of the countries in the commonwealth make the jump to republics. queen
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Australian republic debate revived days before election. Australian republic debate revived days before election. Empty

Back to top Go down

Australian republic debate revived days before election.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Filecabinet Forum :: General Discussion :: Politics-