Filecabinet Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Filecabinet Forum

Go to exilecabi.net

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Control Panel

Your profile

Information

Preference

Signature

Social

Friends and Foes

Memberlist

Groups

Private messages

Inbox

PM sent

Other

Topic is being watched

Forum statistics

Latest topics
» LAST POST OWNS ALL!
A win for the gays. EmptyThu Apr 02, 2020 1:15 am by jammin91

» If a guy called Ceehound joins then
A win for the gays. EmptyFri Jun 26, 2015 2:23 am by ceehound619

» Dat OG Gangsta Returns....
A win for the gays. EmptySat Apr 11, 2015 8:39 pm by ceehound619

» Villa builders explore in Cochin
A win for the gays. EmptyWed May 23, 2012 11:36 am by KIMBERT

» Villa builders explore in Cochin
A win for the gays. EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 11:37 am by KIMBERT

» More about Hemorrhoids
A win for the gays. EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 4:07 pm by Meyer

» How to Master the Tracks?
A win for the gays. EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 10:23 am by derfin

» Well, um, hey everybody.
A win for the gays. EmptyFri May 20, 2011 11:51 pm by Rocker Kid

» Massages To Sooth The Tired Muscles
A win for the gays. EmptyMon May 16, 2011 8:53 am by JAMON

Share | 

A win for the gays.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Heero Valentine
Administrator
Administrator
Heero Valentine

A win for the gays. Vide
PostSubject: A win for the gays. A win for the gays. EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 8:42 am

Federal Judge Overturns California's Same-Sex Marriage Ban

Published August 04, 2010

A win for the gays. Gay_marriage_ruling_080410_604x341
Stuart Gaffney, from left, his husband John Lewis, Spencer Jones, and his husband Tyler Barrick celebrate after hearing the decision in the United States District Court proceedings challenging Proposition 8 outside of the Phillip Burton Federal Building in San Francisco, Wednesday, Aug. 4, 2010. (AP)

A federal judge on Wednesday overturned a California ban on same-sex marriage, ruling that the Proposition 8 ballot initiative was unconstitutional.

The ruling by U.S. District Judge Vaugh Walker, one of three openly gay federal judges in the country, gave opponents of the controversial Proposition 8 ballot a major victory.

Gay couples waving rainbow and American flags outside the courthouse cheered, hugged and kissed as word of the ruling spread.

"Our courts are supposed to protect our Constitutional rights," lead plaintiff Kris Perry said as Sandy Stier, her partner of 10 years, stood at her side. "Today, they did."

Despite the favorable ruling for same-sex couples, gay marriage will not be allowed to resume. That's because the judge said he wants to decide whether his order should be suspended while the proponents pursue their appeal in the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. The judge ordered both sides to submit written arguments by Aug. 6 on the issue.

Supporters argued the ban was necessary to safeguard the traditional understanding of marriage and to encourage responsible childbearing.

California voters passed the ban as Proposition 8 in November 2008, five months after the state Supreme Court legalized gay marriage.

"Proposition 8 fails to advance any rational basis in singling out gay men and lesbians for denial of a marriage license. Indeed, the evidence shows Proposition 8 does nothing more than enshrine in the California Constitution the notion that opposite-sex couples are superior to same-sex couples," the judge wrote in a 136-page ruling that laid out in precise detail why the ban does not pass constitutional muster.

The judge found that the gay marriage ban violates the Constitution's due process and equal protection clauses.

"Because Proposition 8 disadvantages gays and lesbians without any rational justification, Proposition 8 violates the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment," the judge ruled.

Both sides previously said an appeal was certain if Walker did not rule in their favor. The case would go first to the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, then the Supreme Court if the high court justices agree to review it.

"In America, we should uphold and respect the right of people to make policy changes through the democratic process, especially changes that do nothing more than uphold the definition of marriage that has existed since the founding of this country and beyond," said Jim Campbell, a lawyer on the defense team.

Walker heard 13 days of testimony and arguments since January during the first trial in federal court to examine if states can prohibit gays from getting married.

The verdict was the second in a federal gay marriage case to come down in recent weeks. A federal judge in Massachusetts decided last month the state's legally married gay couples had been wrongly denied the federal financial benefits of marriage because of a law preventing the U.S. government from recognizing same-sex unions.

The plaintiffs in the California case presented 18 witnesses. Academic experts testified about topics ranging from the fitness of gay parents and religious views on homosexuality to the historical meaning of marriage and the political influence of the gay rights movement.

Former U.S. Solicitor General Theodore Olson delivered the closing argument for opponents of the ban. He told Judge Walker that tradition or fears of harm to heterosexual unions were legally insufficient grounds to discriminate against gay couples.

Olson teamed up with David Boies to argue the case, bringing together the two litigators best known for representing George W. Bush and Al Gore in the disputed 2000 election.

Defense lawyers called just two witnesses, claiming they did not need to present expert testimony because U.S. Supreme Court precedent was on their side. The attorneys also said gay marriage was an experiment with unknown social consequences that should be left to voters to accept or reject.

Former U.S. Justice Department lawyer Charles Cooper, who represented the religious and conservative groups that sponsored the ban, said cultures around the world, previous courts and Congress all accepted the "common sense belief that children do best when they are raised by their own mother and father."

In an unusual move, the original defendants, California Attorney General Jerry Brown and Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, refused to support Proposition 8 in court.

That left the work of defending the law to Protect Marriage, the group that successfully sponsored the ballot measure that passed with 52 percent of the vote after the most expensive political campaign on a social issue in U.S. history.

Currently, same-sex couples can only legally wed in Massachusetts, Iowa, Connecticut, Vermont, New Hampshire and Washington, D.C.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/08/04/federal-judge-overturns-californias-sex-marriage-ban/

So what are your views on Gay marriage?
Back to top Go down
freestyler_3
VIP
VIP
freestyler_3

A win for the gays. Vide
PostSubject: Re: A win for the gays. A win for the gays. EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 11:07 am

Dude, you don't live there and only post this because the media is spamming it all the way up to level 9000.
amiright

Back to top Go down
MCMXCII
McRomanMcNumerals
MCMXCII

A win for the gays. Vide
PostSubject: Re: A win for the gays. A win for the gays. EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 1:07 pm

Yay for California faggots! Since I'm neither, I don't really care that much.
Back to top Go down
Heero Valentine
Administrator
Administrator
Heero Valentine

A win for the gays. Vide
PostSubject: Re: A win for the gays. A win for the gays. EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 1:20 pm

freestyler_3 wrote:
Dude, you don't live there and only post this because the media is spamming it all the way up to level 9000.
amiright

Or I actually read some news...+ I don't have a newspaper cause I can't afford em.
Back to top Go down
Denial Cabi

Denial Cabi

A win for the gays. Vide
PostSubject: Re: A win for the gays. A win for the gays. EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 3:20 pm

Seems logical to extend the rights some of society enjoy to everyone, we're supposed to be granted that by the equal protection clause in our Constitution, but as our history has shown we're sometimes slow at implementation ie civil rights. This is really an interim situation until the supreme court weighs in. Not sure what they will determine, but the liberals currently have the majority, so it might reinforce the previous decision. I consider myself libertarian, so this is really a constitutional matter, and libertarians view the constitution as the bible for govt. We also feel govt. has no role in the marriage business.

Back to top Go down
MCMXCII
McRomanMcNumerals
MCMXCII

A win for the gays. Vide
PostSubject: Re: A win for the gays. A win for the gays. EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 3:47 pm

Well since marriage is technically done by the Church (a private organisation and separated from the State) it's really up to them if they want gay marriage or not. The only thing the Government can do is to legalise gay union (or whatever the fuck it's called), when you "marry" at City Hall instead of a Church. Gays should totally have the right to have a legal status equivalent to a married couple, but again: the decision about marriage should be up to the Church.
Back to top Go down
Heero Valentine
Administrator
Administrator
Heero Valentine

A win for the gays. Vide
PostSubject: Re: A win for the gays. A win for the gays. EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 3:49 pm

MCM that's quite a good point never thought about it like that.
Churches do the weddings in the church and they should have the right to decline to do certain marriages.

But state wise then yes they should be allowed to marry.

And who wants to get married in a church anyways?
Back to top Go down
Denial Cabi

Denial Cabi

A win for the gays. Vide
PostSubject: Re: A win for the gays. A win for the gays. EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 4:48 pm

MCMXCII wrote:
Well since marriage is technically done by the Church (a private organisation and separated from the State) it's really up to them if they want gay marriage or not. The only thing the Government can do is to legalise gay union (or whatever the fuck it's called), when you "marry" at City Hall instead of a Church. Gays should totally have the right to have a legal status equivalent to a married couple, but again: the decision about marriage should be up to the Church.

Actually, you're required to get a marriage license to get married, so in America the govt. is in the business of marriages. Additionally, there tax ramifications involved, married couples enjoy certain tax benefits, as well as spousal rights when having the unfortunate task of making health and end of life decisions. So it's not as simple as making two distinct categories for relationships. Additionally, America tried the "separate but equal" approach to another civil rights issue in our past and that wasn't a satisfactory approach.
Back to top Go down
GamingGoddess

GamingGoddess

A win for the gays. Vide
PostSubject: Re: A win for the gays. A win for the gays. EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 5:29 pm

True I remeber reading somewhere about a gay lover died and the person don't get any benefits because they are not married.
Back to top Go down
MCMXCII
McRomanMcNumerals
MCMXCII

A win for the gays. Vide
PostSubject: Re: A win for the gays. A win for the gays. EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 6:44 pm

Denial Cabi wrote:
MCMXCII wrote:

Actually, you're required to get a marriage license to get married, so in America the govt. is in the business of marriages. Additionally, there tax ramifications involved, married couples enjoy certain tax benefits, as well as spousal rights when having the unfortunate task of making health and end of life decisions. So it's not as simple as making two distinct categories for relationships. Additionally, America tried the "separate but equal" approach to another civil rights issue in our past and that wasn't a satisfactory approach.

Separate but equal? All I'm saying is that it would be good if gay couples could have the same exact rights and privileges as straight couples, as in equal tax deduction, same legal status, etc. I guess the main point I'm trying to make is that gay people should be fully equal in all aspects, but that the Church should be able to reserve the right to deny them a Church marriage, since the Church is a private institution and since homosexuality is actually quite contradictory with the contents of the Bible. bounce
Back to top Go down
freestyler_3
VIP
VIP
freestyler_3

A win for the gays. Vide
PostSubject: Re: A win for the gays. A win for the gays. EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 9:13 pm

But isn't the church an gay exclusive thing?

Cause I have read about all these priests abusing lil boys....
Back to top Go down
MCMXCII
McRomanMcNumerals
MCMXCII

A win for the gays. Vide
PostSubject: Re: A win for the gays. A win for the gays. EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 9:14 pm

freestyler_3 wrote:
But isn't the church an gay exclusive thing?

Cause I have read about all these priests abusing lil boys....

Contrary to common belief, homosexuality and pedophilia are not the same thing. Awesome
Back to top Go down
Echo
Thrower of Puppies
Echo

A win for the gays. Vide
PostSubject: Re: A win for the gays. A win for the gays. EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 9:48 pm

they wanna destroy their lives with marriage like the rest of us?

let em..

hell, some of us straight guys could fake bein gay and marry some rich faggot and take all his money a year later.

but would that year of buttsecks be worth it? Oh Em Gee
Back to top Go down
freestyler_3
VIP
VIP
freestyler_3

A win for the gays. Vide
PostSubject: Re: A win for the gays. A win for the gays. EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 9:54 pm

I learned something today.
Back to top Go down
GamingGoddess

GamingGoddess

A win for the gays. Vide
PostSubject: Re: A win for the gays. A win for the gays. EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 9:57 pm

Lawl then its more easy if gal w/gal no butt sex ftw!
Back to top Go down
TGD_02

TGD_02

A win for the gays. Vide
PostSubject: Re: A win for the gays. A win for the gays. EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 10:56 pm

why...the fuck is this even an issue
ffs ppl just live ur fucking life, if theres mofoes out there lookin to live together then wtf does it matter to the rest of us
shit as long as they're taxes are being paid and laws being followed
FUCK IT
Back to top Go down
Pluh5000

Pluh5000

A win for the gays. Vide
PostSubject: Re: A win for the gays. A win for the gays. EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 11:39 pm

a shit, I give none. I wish everyone else could take the same approach about this issue. they are gay people, not gay animals, let em do w/e the fuck they want to. As long as it doesn't fuck with me at all I'm good with it.
Back to top Go down
Echo
Thrower of Puppies
Echo

A win for the gays. Vide
PostSubject: Re: A win for the gays. A win for the gays. EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 12:14 am

yes, they are free to do what they want.

but im also entitled to my opinion that its gross...

sorry afro, that shit you do is fuckin nasty.
Back to top Go down
Nana
Administrator
Administrator
Nana

A win for the gays. Vide
PostSubject: Re: A win for the gays. A win for the gays. EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 3:31 am

TGD_02 wrote:

FUCK IT

In the bum?!

nah I'm just kidding, I agree

fuck it...

*just not over my house you fucking pole smokers
Back to top Go down
Flying Dagda
"Spesiual" MacModerator
Flying Dagda

A win for the gays. Vide
PostSubject: Re: A win for the gays. A win for the gays. EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 1:25 pm

Yep I agree with Nana, do what you want in the privacy of your own home but not in mine. Or in public, I don't like seeing a man and woman slobbering all over each other in public either so it's not homo-phobia Afro. In the last year 2 more lads I went to school with have came out, it doesn't bother me they're good people but they know not to blackguard with me about that. I do feel a bit sorry for one of them who knows he'll never be able to adopt but to be honest I don't think Ireland is ready for that just yet.
Back to top Go down
Heero Valentine
Administrator
Administrator
Heero Valentine

A win for the gays. Vide
PostSubject: Re: A win for the gays. A win for the gays. EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 2:26 pm

I have no problems with the gays...Just the I wanna be a woman kind of gay.
They annoy the fuck out of me.

Well so does everyone with a loud mouth but still :/.
Back to top Go down
GamingGoddess

GamingGoddess

A win for the gays. Vide
PostSubject: Re: A win for the gays. A win for the gays. EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 6:16 pm

Seamus wrote:
Yep I agree with Nana, do what you want in the privacy of your own home but not in mine. Or in public, I don't like seeing a man and woman slobbering all over each other in public either so it's not homo-phobia Afro. In the last year 2 more lads I went to school with have came out, it doesn't bother me they're good people but they know not to blackguard with me about that. I do feel a bit sorry for one of them who knows he'll never be able to adopt but to be honest I don't think Ireland is ready for that just yet.

I agree w/the slobbering in public part...it's a bit embarrassing to see...I guess in a norm society, people like things kept hidden. We're not use to seeing the unseen.
Back to top Go down
JACKASS2010
Administrator
Administrator
JACKASS2010

A win for the gays. Vide
PostSubject: Re: A win for the gays. A win for the gays. EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 11:47 pm

let em do what the want. just cause they like fucking the same sex, in this day and age this kinda shit shouldn't even be an issue. they wanna ban something?

ban religion.
Back to top Go down
Echo
Thrower of Puppies
Echo

A win for the gays. Vide
PostSubject: Re: A win for the gays. A win for the gays. EmptySat Aug 07, 2010 1:39 am

Heero Valentine wrote:
I have no problems with the gays...Just the I wanna be a woman kind of gay.
They annoy the fuck out of me.

Well so does everyone with a loud mouth but still :/.

yes.. if i cant tell youre gay or its at least subtle. whatever.

but just because youre gay doesnt mean you need to prance around in leather assless chaps with glitter/cum all over your face with a set of fairy wings on your back and talk with an excessive lisp.

Back to top Go down
silenthill22

silenthill22

A win for the gays. Vide
PostSubject: Re: A win for the gays. A win for the gays. EmptySat Aug 07, 2010 11:39 pm

What they do in the privacy of their own home is their business. Church and state are suppose to be separate. I think anybody should be able to marry who they want.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

A win for the gays. Vide
PostSubject: Re: A win for the gays. A win for the gays. Empty

Back to top Go down

A win for the gays.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Filecabinet Forum :: General Discussion :: Politics-